Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Week 2 Post

Response to: A Vision of Students Today
This video shows a college student's everyday life. College life for most is more fun and laid back than high school. Just because you're not in school 40 hours a week in college, you still spend more time working on school work or doing something that relates to school. I would say this video explains my life pretty well.
How is technology really helping us if we spend more time doing things that take away time from what we should be doing? Well, as a student I have to know and plan how much time I spend playing around on the computer (Facebook, games, and other activities) and how much time I spend doing work for class. I think technology is helping us as a society, but only if we use it correctly and use our time wisely.

Response to: It's Not about Technology
Mrs. Hines has some great points about technology in her article. What is the point of all this technology if know one knows how to use it? Teachers must be able to use this technology to spark the minds of these students. All these new tools in technology are changing the way students think about school. Most students want to learn how to use the smart board (fancy whiteboards), because it is something fun, and while doing this they are learning. Just like Mrs. Hines said, teachers need to be up-to-date with there students, and this is a key part in teaching in a way the students can learn.
I wish my high school teacher would have learned how to use the technology and made learning fun. Today, for a teacher, there is no excuse for not learning the new technology because there are so many ways to learn this new technology. Most schools or school systems will pay for the teachers to go to the class and learn how to use it. The technology would be great if all the teacher would learn how to use it correctly, and apply it while teaching.

Response to: Is it Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
Mr. Fisch has some very valid points about the necessity of technology literacy of teachers in schools. There is more new technology being developed every day, and students are going to be some of the first to be interested in it. It is crucial that teachers get on board in the technology realm and use the new technology to its greatest potential. Students are so much more interested in learning if they are getting to learn by way of exciting new technology that they may not otherwise have access to. If teachers take the initiative to go out and learn how to use new technology, the students will come out of school being technologically literate, which is becoming more and more necessary in the real world.
I was fortunate enough to grow up in an area that had access to the newest and latest technology. However, I feel like if my teachers had been more interested in the technology themselves and taken the time to learn how to use it more efficiently, I would have been more interested in learning when I was younger. The technology could be so influential in a child's life if teachers took some time to learn it themselves.

Response to: Gary's Social Media Count
It is so amazing to see a count of the numerous technological interactions going on across the world in a matter of seconds. It shows that as a teacher I will have to be paying attention to and keeping up with the constant changes in the technological world. Children and teenagers are right in the middle of all this new technology. Because of the constantly changing technological world, I will have to learn and use the new technology as it comes. Students in this time rely so much on technology, and by teaching in a way that engages this technology, I think I will be able to reach their minds at a whole new level.
As a future teacher in a constantly changing and improving world, I will have to reform the ways of teaching in the past. Teaching can never be a constant method because with each new school year there are new students, new needs and new technology. I will have to change my teaching methods depending on each student, because each child learns in a different way, and technology is a wonderful tool that can often times enhance learning for children.

4 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that you think you would have been more interested in learning if your students better utilized their tech tools. If you bought a better mop would you enjoy cleaning your floors more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a student I pay more attention to things that I find more appealing such as newly advanced technology. I know every student learns in his or her own way. I happen to be a very visual learner, where as other students may be other types of learners.

    And about the mop, honestly, I probably would be more excited about cleaning my floors...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take a look at Why I Hate Interactive Smartboards.

    I agree with you. Some tools are more interesting to use than others. I have a friend that just got a robot vacuum cleaner. I asked her last night how she liked it. "I love it. I use it all the time!" Not surprising. It's the same with technology. Most kids today want to use it. So they enjoy what the technology is doing more than they would otherwise. My friend now likes to clean her house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you. I do spend a lot of time on my laptop for school. Many of my classes require me to use it constantly through out the day. I like to think that I am becoming more and more technologically literate, however I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete